mackenzie

Monday, September 13, 2010

Run your Home like a Business


When I was 5 years old, it was a dream of mine to be a stay at home MOM. Well I have gotten to live out my dream, however I decided from the beginning I was going to do it right. So I decided to run my home, just like I would a business.
It is not always easy. I have 4 children who are all in different stages of life…I have a 14 year old beautiful redheaded daughter, who plays the piano, guitar and is now playing golf for her school. This is her 1st year of high school and is taking an A hour class, so yes that means we are up at 5am. Next I have my favorite son, (yes he is my only son) who is 10 years old and in the 5th grade. He is in sports and cub scouts; he leaves for school at 7:45am with his sweetest little sister, who is 6 years old and in the 1st grade. She loves to dance and play with friends, and when she is home, she plays with her little sister, who is 3 who also takes a dance class. She also gets to hang around with mom all day, and play and have fun!!
So as you can see things can be a little chaotic around the Grant household. But if you have a written schedule, you can manage your day a little easier.
Children are in need of structure and stability in their lives to function the best. Creating a daily schedule can help children behave and sleep better. You need to create a schedule that will work for your family. Schedule the things that must happen such as meals, sleep and school time, then work around the remaining free time to fit in everything else. You need to make your schedule function for your family. Be sure to consider the kids' ages when creating a schedule. For example, a 3-month-old won't be able to keep the same schedule as a 3-year-old or a 14-year-old.
I have made up 3 easy steps to help you run your home like a business. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week I will give you a step to work on, and why it is important. The first step is...YES OF COURSE…

STEP #1: Make a written schedule of your week. (Here is a little example of my schedule.)

Monday:
5:00am
wake up, read scriptures, clean bathrooms, start laundry. MONDAYS ARE WASHING DAYS!!
5:45am wake up kids, read scriptures as family; help get children ready for school. *** Kids do all there chores before school.***
6:10am high school starts
7:10am feed kids breakfast, make lunches, and send the next two little ones to school. (Hopefully happy!!!)
8:00am check emails
8:35am Workout
10:30am shower and get ready for the day.
12:00pm finish laundry, go grocery shopping, work on side business.
2:30pm golf practice.
3:10pm kids get home from school. Help with homework. Make dinner.
5:00pm eat dinner, clean up.
6:00pm family night
6:30pm story time then the two little ones go to bed.
7:30pm son reads and goes to bed.
9:00pm teenager reads and goes to bed.
10:00pm hopefully I’m in bed!!!!


Tuesday:
5:00am same as Monday but NO LAUNDRY!!! YEA!!
8:00am check emails
8:35am mop and vacuum the entire house.
10:00am get showered and ready for day.
11:30am free time to get things done!!!
2:30pm golf practice
3:10pm kids get home, do homework, and make dinner.
4:00pm Scouts.
5:00pm eat dinner, and clean up.
6:30pm same as Monday. (Kids go to bed at the same time every night, except for Friday nights)
7:00pm I have a meeting for my church.
10:00pm hopefully I’m in bed!!!!


***Do you understand were I am going with this… PLAN AND SCHEDULE YOUR DAYS OUT ON PAPER. This is the 1st step; stay tuned for step #2 on Wednesday!!!

3 comments:

  1. I know you live this way as exactly as possible, but I've found that for me it is so hard to be consistent! I struggle with that. Keeping a schedule, although necessary, is not fun to do! I'm uncomfortable with that. Why?...I don't know. I'll think about it. THANKS FOR PUTTING THE TIME INTO BLOGGING ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE SO SKILLED AT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calli, I am so happy that you started this blog. I have always been amazed at your incredible organized home and how you get your kids to bed so early. You MOTIVATE ME! (And your blog is just so dang CUTE!) Thanks Calli! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleaning bathrooms at FIVE a.m.??!! Wow Calli, you are definitely more motivated than I am!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

 

Back to TOP

Design: BoutiqueMama.com