mackenzie

Friday, September 16, 2011

A HOME OR A PLOT OF LAND???



A few months ago on a bright and early Saturday morning, my good friend Crystal called me and said..."CALLI, I now understand completely why you say "does that have a HOME." So I asked Crystal to explain her theory of why she thinks I came up with that phrase.
Needless to say... SHE HIT IT RIGHT ON THE NOSE!!!! I have asked her to write down what she told me, because I feel that coming from someone who is just starting the process of making "a home for their things", will make more of an impact on you.

SO HERE IT IS...

“Everything has a home”, Calli says. And her words ring in my head often. I am trying to make changes for myself and my family with her help. We desperately need more order in our lives. So as I’m going throughout my day recently, I found myself hearing Calli’s voice. As I was setting down another object on our kitchen counter we affectionately call our C.C. (crap-collector), I heard her voice. “Is that it’s home”, she asked. “Yes”, I answered, “this is where I always put it”. But as I walked away I realized for the first time in all these years that it really, really wasn’t it’s home. In fact, I realized that almost ALL of the items in my house do NOT have homes, they might have a plot of land, but not a home.

Let me explain by asking what is a home for anyways? Well, in regards to my family, we live here, we gather, share love, different opinions, we grow and make memories of course. But our home also offers us protection, security, and consistency. So can we apply these last adjectives to the homes of our possessions? Do we provide a consistent place for our items where they are safe, secure and protected? Or are you stacking stuff on your C.C. (I know you have one somewhere).The items we place on our land plots are just waiting to be bumped, trampled, spilled on, or lost. If you are going to keep it, maintain it, keep a mental and physical place for it in your house and lives, you better find a home for it. Land does not provide safety from our life’s storms. It is just a spot where we stick things. Now I do believe in temporary homes for items. My winter clothes go to a temporary home (secured, safe, and not forgotten), until it’s winter again and they can join us in a more permanent home. But winter clothes thrown into a pile on a plot of land in the corner of my laundry room is not doing any of us any good. (I do have a plot of land in the corner of my laundry room that calls for things to stay awhile when I’m feeling lazy). Calli’s helping me with that.

So, I share this experience with a suggestion. Perhaps the next time you are sorting through your items, or just placing things down in a temporary spot- maybe you could ask yourself, “is that it’s home or a plot of land?”. If you love it, need it, care for it, please find it a home. Nobody likes to be homeless.

One more suggestion that seems to decrease tension in regards to my kids- in our home if I see my kids item left out, I will sometimes say, “ahhh, poor thing, it’s homeless. Won’t someone help that shoe find a home? It’s lost.”

SEE WHAT I MEAN!!! Thank you Crystal...YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

Homework: Get rid of your CRAP-COLLECTOR!!! (I know you have one.) Have a great and ORGANIZED weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Back to TOP

Design: BoutiqueMama.com