mackenzie

Monday, March 28, 2011

72 Hour Kits… DO YOU HAVE THEM AND ARE THEY BEING ROTATED????




I hope everyone has or soon will have a 72 hour kit. 72 hour kits are useful for the first 72 hours following some type of emergency/natural disaster. Often times they are used in times where you have to evacuate your home. If you could stick around your home, I’d hope you have more than 3 days worth of food- but that’s another story!!


72 hour kits typically contain supplies for dealing with disasters along with food and water.

Here are some great tips for what to put in your kits. Here is a list of non-food supplies.

□ supply of water (one gallon per person per day)

□ first aid kit and prescription medications

□ extra pair of glasses

□ credit cards and cash

□ change of clothes and sturdy shoes

□ battery powered radio, and extra batteries

□ blankets or sleeping bags, rain poncho, body warmer, glow stick, tarp to make a tent □ list of emergency plan contact info

□ booster cables for car, car shovel, rope, N95 dust mask, working gloves □ flashlight with batteries , or hand-crank flashlight

□ wind/waterproof matches, and candle, plastic trash bags

□ personal hygiene products (baby stuff, soap, tooth care, toilet paper, hair ties, wet wipes)

□ games, books, hard candy, toys medications, maps of surrounding areas, sewing kit, blank CD for SOS or signaling for help, whistle, multipurpose tool (screwdriver, knife, saw, pliers, can opener etc), Power Cap (baseball type hat with built in headlights) Food for your pets.


I also recommend having your important documents gathered in either an emergency binder, or safe. ( IN IT”S PROPER HOME) so you know exactly where it is so you can hurry and grab it and go!!!


The food is pretty easy to figure out. I just store enough breakfast, lunch and dinner for 3 days. OHHHHHH and don’t forget the SNACKS!!!! I put protein bars in because I know my family will eat and love them. I put packets of oatmeal, canned soups, canned tuna, canned chicken, rice packets that you just have to add hot water too, etc. Don’t forget the pan to cook it in, matches and of course a can opener. I also have a cup, plate, and utensils for each person in my family. For those of you who know me well, know that I have a 6 MONTH SUPPLY OF ANTIBACTERIAL WIPES!!!! (You can never be too safe!!!)


On Friday I will show you how to rotate it and how to store and carry it if the time comes!!

1 comment:

 

Back to TOP

Design: BoutiqueMama.com